Monday, March 23, 2009

Sunflower Soup II


Sunflower Soup II, 12 x 16, soft pastel on paper SOLD

Finally finished it. This one got stalled at the "ugly stage," and then I had an exceptionally busy week at work and left it sitting even longer. I wish I had a better approach to surmounting that no-apparent-hope-for-it phase of a painting. My current approach is to just pick up a pastel and start doing something--anything--until it starts looking decent again. It nearly always ends up working . . . but I always get stopped for a while.

The yellows appear to have desaturated on upload. Picture them a bit richer than they look here!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your artwork--it's gorgeous.

    I just named your "Late" response as the One-Minute Writing of the Day. Check it out here. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe of your paintings! I remember the other one (Sunflower Soup I?) and how I was drawn to it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this painting! Everything about it is gorgeous and sunflowers are my favorite flowers. I enjoyed looking at your artwork, you're very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome.

    Well, you know MY approach to that phase: attack the painting!! No, but seriously, I basically do what you do, just do SOMETHING to it, just to make it shift somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Grief!! This is absolutely gorgeous...
    Whether it's stalls or your current approach.... it WORKS and it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim!

    Great subject matter and wonderful composition.

    Smart having the shadows of the still life fill up the surface space in the lower left corner.

    Very detailed and great color choices too!

    Another winner!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for writing! I love hearing from you.