Friday, March 18, 2011

Guess it's about time...

It's been a month since I posted so I guess it's time for a flurry of posts. No, NOT a flurry of snow. The snow is all melted here (except for a few grimy persistent plow piles), and spring bulbs have started to come up for air. We made it!

I've been painting.  I think I am finally recovered from the frantic prep for my February show--a story I won't share, but I assure you it was a nightmare good learning experience. I've put the trauma behind me and gotten back to the easel.

So here's the first one.  If you follow me on Facebook, you've already seen it, but not everyone has a FB account (it's true!) so I have to post it here too.

Looking Up, 24 x 24 inches, soft pastel on paper.  SOLD

A friend of mine is wholly responsible for this piece (well, except for the painting part, which was all me). He insisted he loved this angle and I should do whatever I had to do to correct the camera distortion (it was warped!) and make it into a painting. I decided to give it a try, and after about two weeks and fifteen attempts, I came up with a workable drawing. After that, the painting was pretty easy. I loved doing the bubbles in the glass.

There is a funny and charming story (I have a funny and charming life--just ask me) about how I got the reference images for this and the other paintings in the series. You can read all about it in this post and this post.

More tomorrow. I promised a flurry and a flurry we shall have.

All content ©2011 Kimberly Denise. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.