Tuesday, June 21, 2016

some knitting is slow

Some knitting is slow. Oversize cardigans for plus-size me in laceweight yarn on teeny needles, just for example, are SLOW.

Like this one. Kate Davies' Firth O' Forth in Verdant Gryphon Mithril lace, in the coveted colorway Blowfly. (Blowfly used to be available only one day a year, in a special sale on New Year's Eve, and two years ago I was lucky enough to grab four precious skeins on laceweight.)

It's going to be amazing. Someday.

I have this much done:
almost looks like it could be a sweater some day!


















Actually, I've added a couple more inches since that photo, but ohmygoodness it grows
s  l  o  w  l  y. Still, it's lovely relaxing knitting and the play of color across my stitches is deeply satisfying.


this is what a soul-destroying cast on looks like





This is what it looked like at the very beginning, after I cast on 462 stitches.
(No, that's not a typo; I really did cast on four hundred and sixty-two stitches.)



















But after making three big swatches, the interminable cast on, the bottom band in garter stitch, and a couple of repeats of (finally!) the lace pattern, it was only this big:


only this and nothing more


. . . and I lost the will to live and put it into hibernation for 14 months.












But now it's out again and I love it and have forgiven it everything. I may not finish this baby before I'm 70, but right now it's my favorite project! Perfect for knitting outdoors while enjoying the summer air in my lovely leafy garden.