Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Winner!

No, not a painting--this time it's a piece of short fiction. I was over at the Garden Rant blog--one of my daily reads--and, in the interest of procrastination, decided to tap out a few entries for their Flash Fiction contest. I was delighted to learn that one of them was among the winners! I'll receive a couple of gardening books as my prize. I like gardening books even more than I like art books.

Here's my 99-word story. Please note, this is a gardening theme, not an art theme. I was a gardener long before I was an artist. And yes, it's fiction. Although my ex-husband did once give me a vermicomposter...

It was one of those shy spring days, mud-spattered, chill breeze whispering a thousand deep-green promises. He met me out back, stepping carefully in his treasured Italian loafers.

I knew what he wanted. I'd seen the receipts. I knew her glossy blonde name.

“I need someone who suits my lifestyle,” he said, “someone who maybe gets a manicure once in a while.”

I clasped my dirty fingers and sighed. This man had given me a vermicomposter for our anniversary. Returning to my shovel, I was comforted. Alimony buys a lot of perennials. Italian loafers make excellent compost.

12 comments:

  1. What a great story! No wonder you were the winner. Love the ending. I think it will keep me chuckling all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant Kim!

    beautifully crafted words and a lovely ending

    ReplyDelete
  3. R. Garriott is right, this is a great story. I'm still giggling. Congrats. on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! I wasted a whole morning writing microstories--but it was fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, girl, You're good!!

    Love the story, and love the idea of a 99 word tale. It reads like poetry because it's so compressed; every word being more than itself.

    Congratulations!

    I love this story, too, because being an artist and a gardener - and a person who does farm work, my hands show the work. I've broken a few fingers, have callouses, and never, never use polish or would even think of a manicure.

    Long silly nails are for silly useless women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. R. Garriot's blog got me here.this is :
    Pricelss..you deserve to win...another giggler here.
    What a visual your words painted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is so great. Incredibly tragic, poignant, beautiful, wry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, thanks again for all the praise! I'm glad y'all liked it. It was definitely a good exercise. Sometimes I need a little help paring down my prose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim,
    Loved that you replied to my gardenrant story that it was your favorite, because yours was my favorite! FYI, I just blogged on this myself and included your story and a link to your site.

    Maybe you should run the same contest with an art theme! Let me know and I'll start sharpening my no. 2 pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank R. Garriot for another visitor. Love your story--it's like a haiku with flesh. Congrats on your win--you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan--I love that idea! I'm filing it away for future use. Thanks for the shout-out on your blog.

    Cheryl--thanks for visiting! and thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely loved your story, fun and well-written. A very well deserved win! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for writing! I love hearing from you.